Note    H00295         Index
Bruce graded Jewell High School and Kansas State University in agronomy. H is employed by Serve-Tech at Garden City, Kansas (1981) and does cartooning for "The Jewel County Republican" newspaper as a sideline.


Note    H00296         Index
Died in a car accident. Interred at Couch Cemetery, Jewell, Kansas.


Note    H00297         Index
Ferris graduated Jewell High School and works as a farm hand.


Note    H00298         Index
Graded from Jewell High School and as of 1981 was attending Kansas State


Note    H00299         Index
Gregory graduated Jewell High School and North Central Vo-Tech school in farm mechanics. He owns a dog kennel and farm.


Note    H00300         Index
Died in a car accident.


Note    H00301         Index
George grew up in the Alfred Vachel Arrasmith household, and though he
was never legally adopted, he took the Arasmith name as his own.

Mrs. Ralph E. Arasmith writes, "March 1981, Ralph's grandmother Arasmith
took George when a very small baby and raised him but never adopted him.
She gave him her name without legal procedures. His name should be

Another note "George Arrasmith was born McKee, was taken in as a baby,
raised with the family."

Farmed in Columbus, Nebraska


Note    H00302         Index
Question as to last name


Note    H00303         Index
Both he and his wife and his daughter were killed in an auto and train collision new Cozad, Nebraska.

"The Golden Globe, golden, Jefferson County, Colorado, September 2, 1916"

J. W. Arasmith, Wife and Daughter killed in an auto and train collision near Cozad, Nebraska.

The sudden, appalling and heart breaking news reached golden about 2 o'clock Saturday that J. W. Arasmith, editor and proprietor of the Golden Glove, and his wife and daughter, Mrs. J. W. Bisland, all of Golden were killed in an auto collision with a Union Pacific train near Cozad, Nebraska that afternoon.

The shock to the people of this community was like a bolt of lightning from a clear sky. Cashier J. J. Bryan of the Woods-Rubey bank of this city received the sad message which dazed all who heard it. it was through a check book in Mr. Arasmith pocket that authorities at Lexington learned the identity of the automobile sad occurrence. That night Mayor R. Broad of Golden left for the scene at Cozad and returned with the remains of the unfortunate ones on Monday morning.

Mr. Arasmith and his wife and daughter left Golden in their auto last Friday morning to visit Mrs. Arasmith's mother, Mrs. James Farley, who lives at Fairfield, Neb., which is probably 435 miles from Golden. They hoped to arrive there sometime Saturday evening. On Saturday at a little after one o' clock in the afternoon their machine was struck by the train. Mr. and Mrs. Arasmith were instantly killed, while Mrs. Bisland was rendered unconscious and died without recovering consciousness about
six o' clock the following morning.

The place where the accident occurred is about 340 miles from Golden.

How the accident really occurred no one will ever know for a certainty, because some of the events heading up to it could only be be told by the victims themselves.

In their journey through Nebraska the Arasmith's followed the Lincoln highway, which for many miles on each side of the scene of the accident runs just north of the Union Pacific railroad, and usually within about fifty to one hundred feet from the tracks.

Some distance west from the place where the accident occurred the Arasmith's found the highway a little rough, and made a detour to the north to avoid the rough road. After they had gone several miles they
were directed to take a cross road to the south to rejoin the Lincoln highway just west of Cozad. When last seen they were going south about thirty to thirty five miles per hour and approaching the highway and the Union Pacific tracks.

To the west a passenger train was seen coming at about fifty miles per hour, which is the usual rate of speed for passenger trains on that part of the division. There was nothing to obstruct the view for miles, so it is quite likely that the Arasmith's also saw the approaching train, but intended to turn into the Lincoln Highway just before they reached the tracks, which, if done, would have resulted safely for them.

Merle, the daughter, was driving, with her father sitting on her right, and her mother in the rear seat.

As they reached the highway it would seem that the machine was going too fast to make the turn with safety or else a crossing straight ahead confused he driver, for she apparently started to make the turn, saw that she could not safely do it, and then stopped the machine just beyond the highway, and within ten feet of the double tracks. After that, what happened and the reasons therefore are more matters of conjecture than of established fact.

The fireman on the engine of the approaching train, from is position on the north side of the engine cab was watching the crossing for which they had just whistled, when he was the automobile moving slowly toward the tracks from the north. It was apparently, but ten feet away, and he could see the train was sure to hit the machine, were applied, for a fleeting moment he saw Mrs. Arasmith rise in the rear seat as it to jump, and then all was over.

The automobile was scattered a useless and practically worthless wreck to the right of the tracks looking toward the east.

Mr. Arasmith's body was hurled 130 feet a little south of east from the tracks, Merle was picked up about twenty feet back of her father, while Mrs. Arasmith's body was found on the engine pilot.

The bodies of Mr. and Mrs. Arasmith were placed on the passenger train and taken to Lexington about twenty miles to the east.

Merle, in whom signs of life were visible, was taken by a west bound passenger train back to North Platte, forty miles to the west, and placed in a hospital there, where she died the next morning, without becoming conscious.

(About four paragraphs of conjecture of how the accident happened are omitted here.)

The funeral occurred from Calvary Episcopal church at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon, the attendance being unusually large; Rev. Don Fenn officiating, assisted by Rev. George E. Keithley of the Presbyterian Church. The alters of the church and caskets were beautified with the choicest and sweetest of flowers, and the entire service was most impressive, helpful and beautiful. Horace Wells, who sang at Mrs. J. B. Bisland's wedding in June 1915, rendered two very appropriate solos, entitled, "Abide with Me" and "Beautiful Isle of somewhere". Reverend Fenn in his discourse said in part, "How many people will miss them They are as close to my heart as to most of you. I see eyes filled with
tears and hearts full of sorrow. We know all about their loveable characters and sweet natures. What will life mean without them?" The rector spoke feelingly from St. John 10c 10v., "I have come that they
might have life and more abundantly." This is not a terrible tragedy - no accident with God. It was time for them to be gathered home to God. Ho pain, no sorrow. None left to suffer. Greatness of love vouchsafed for them to go together. We know they are safe in God's hands where they have obtained life and eternal peace "

Mr. Arasmith was born in Audusilam, Illinois, on august 24,1862, being 54 years and two days at the time of his demise; his birthday occurring two days previous before his death. He whiled away his boyhood days in Iowa, Illinois and Kansas, where he was educated and taught school. He married
Effie Farley in Fairfield, Nebraska and came to Colorado 28 years ago, teaching school first at Fairmont District and later in Ralston Valley. From there he went to Morrison, where he was principal of the public
schools, Mrs. Arasmith assisting him. He served two terms of Superintendent of Schools in this county and was principal of the North Side school in Golden for 16 years. In 1908 he bought a half interest in
this paper and in 1911 bought Judge Stuart's interest. He was a member of the Golden Masonic order and the Odd Fellows at Morrison. He is survived by three brothers, two of them residing in Jewel, Kansas, and one at Densmore, Kansas; A. V. Arasmith and brother A. W. of Jewel, Kansas, S. E. Arasmith of Densmore, Kansas and a sister, Annie E. Triplow of Weiser, Idaho.

Mrs. Effie E. Arasmith was 46 years of age and was born at Eldorado, Iowa, November 16, 1869. She was beloved by all who knew her and popular in social circles, being a member of the Progressive club and Vice Versa club, recently elected president of the former club. She is survived by her aged mother, Mrs. Mary M. Farley and by four sisters, Mesdames J. V. Deines, Nellie Mack, Mable Mock, J. F. Godfry and a brother, James Walter Farley.

Mrs. Bisland the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arasmith, Merle, was born at Fairfield, Nebraska, March 14,1892, being 24 years of age. She was a member of Calvary Episcopal church and a graduate of the University of Colorado, where she was a popular member of the Kappa Gamma sorority, and her marriage to J. B. Bisland about one year ago, was one of the social events of the season Her husband was electrocuted near Nederland last May.

Relatives of deceased who were present at the funeral:

Mrs. Mary M. Farley, Mr. and Mrs. James Walter Farley, and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. J. V. Deines and daughter, all of Fairfield, Mrs. Nellie Mack and Mrs. Mabel Mock, both of Kansas City, Missouri.

A. B. Arasmith and son J. H. of Jewel,Kansas.

Mrs. J. F. Godfrey of Colfax, Iowa, got as far as Omaha and could not get here in time for the funeral."